If you are a regular visitor to the Sprinter Guy website, you might have been wondering, where has Dave the Sprinter Guy been over the past couple of months?
This has been quite the difficult year for Sprinter USA and the Sprinter Guy. Normally the model year change would happen around August and the new vans would be here in the store around October, every year, except this year!
We have had delay after delay in getting the 2017’s built, US Government Certified and shipped to us. So about 7 months late, we are about to get the first 2017’s shipped to us this week. But, only V6 engine Sprinter vans are going to be released now for 2017 model year.
So at least we will see some new inventory arrive, including some of the very hard to come by Sprinter 4×4 models. Small numbers of 2017’s will be available before they start production of the 2018 model year Sprinter vans.
So here are some of the questions you are asking….and the answers are “the opinion of Dave the Sprinter Guy, not official from MBUSA.”
- What about 4 cyl Sprinter vans – You won’t see any 2017 Sprinter vans with the 4 cyl turbo diesel engine.
- When will the 2018 specs be available – We are still waiting on official news as to the 2018 production. I will let you know when we have this info.
- Will the 2018 be the much discussed online “New Sprinter Van”? – Nope, 2018 will be a carry-over from the 2017 specs.
- What about 4×4 production? – Still going to be a long wait, but it’s worth it.
- When will we see the “Next Generation Sprinter Van”? – Probably as a 2019 model year.
- When will production of the USA built Sprinter vans happen in Ladson South Carolina? – Before the end of the decade, maybe the 2019 models but not 100% sure of this.
- Is there a new 4 cyl diesel engine coming? – No definite answer about this at this time.
- Is there a gasoline engine Sprinter coming to the USA market? – More on this later this fall, possibly.
There will be a national Sprinter meeting in early June, where I hope we can get some official answers to the questions. Stay tuned for more details.
In the meantime, I have about 12 new 2016 Passenger vans, 5 Crew vans and 9 Cargo vans, all sale priced. Give me a call, 512-942-6923 or email email@example.com for pricing. Click the link on the left side for the current Sprinter Inventory page.